viernes, 6 de octubre de 2017

Peter Jackson,The Lord of the Movies


Peter Jackson with one of his beloved Oscar s
  "The world has changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost. For none now live who remember it. It began with the forging of the great rings. Three were given to the elves, immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings. Seven to the Dwarf Lords, great miners and craftsmen of the mountain halls. And nine, nine rings were gifted to the race of men, who above all else desired power. For within these rings was bound the strength and will to govern each race." This is the beggining of one of the best trilogies in the history of cinema, at least in my opinion: The Lord of the Rings. And the man behind it is no other than the great Peter Jackson.

The first Lord ofRhe rings movie poster
  To be honest, I had heard wonders about the work of Jackson in regard to J.R.R Tolkien's books, but I hadn't watched the movies until last year because I wanted to experience the novels first. But when I finally got to watch them, they blew my mind. Peter Jackson had made such beautiful movies, with amazing scenes, a marvelous soundtrack (courtesy of Howard Shore) and an appropiate pacing that make them never too boring to watch. I really think they have nothing to envy from the books, which are masterpieces as well. I feel that if Tolkien could have watched the movies, he would feel very proud and satisfied.

Poster for the first Hobbit movie
  Jackson has also directed The Hobbit trilogy, which works as a prequel to The Lord of the Rings. Although I myself find them to be a bit boring and way worse than the Lord of The Rings trilogy, it can't be denied that they have had quite an influence in this decade and that they have had a great success, at least economically. They have also obtained a big amount of popularity and the critics have been generally good. The visuals are still really good, and so is the soundtack. So, even though I don't love them, they are good movies.

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn
  The last movie regarding the topic of comics and literature adapted to other media I want to talk about is The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn. The director of this movie is Steven Spielberg but Peter Jackson also worked in it as the producer. The movie is a 3D animated movie about one of my favorite comic book characters that I have been reading since I was a kid, the reporter Tintin. It is really enjoyable and the animation is delightful. It has a lot of humor and action, while also keeping a kind of thriller vibe. Jackson has now changed roles with Spielberg in the sequel The adventures of Tintin: Prisoners of the Sun, which is currently being produced. This will be the first time Peter Jackson directs an animated movie. This is something I am very excited to see.

  Jackson, as we can see, is a reallly influential figure regarding the topic of this blog, but other non-adapted movies of his are also really good. In my opinion, he shares a place with people like Stanley Kubrick or Alfred Hitchcock in the list of the best directors there are and have been.





 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario