jueves, 21 de septiembre de 2017

The Lord of The Rings: The silmarilion failure

What happens when one does not read the J.R.R Tolkien books?
Either
1. Nothing
2. Your crazy friends don't believe you
3.You read them

Since the movies came out my parents read the trilogy of The Lord of The Ring, meanwhile my aunt devoured the bible of Tolkien:  The Silmarillion. Little did I know about the condense and majestic world of the Middle Earth  and until this day, I haven't read the trilogy. I know, is sad if you are a fan of the books, still, the movies are great and I know that they won an Oscar for best movie adaption, so that comforts me.

Lord of The Rings
Trauma. Gollum is not listening

The years went by and I remained a virgin from the Lord of The Rings experienced, until one day something changed... A friend of my was a big fan of the books specially the Silmarillion, with the story of the origins of the middle earth, the men, the dwarf, hobbits, elfs and gods. I canot tell how I got that interested but I remembered that all began with a WhatsApp conversation about good books.
One book led to another and then Tolkien's story got in the way. A month later, I was having a limited edition of the Silmarillion, it was my friend's precious treasure.
The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien

I promised him to take care of that book like it was my baby, and I got three months to read it. I was confident about the time...Oh boy I was so naive.

Here is an honest representation of my inner-thoughts while reading the Book:

"First pages, good, some characters introduced, the creation of the son of gods, mmm, I need to catch-up with the names, thank good there's a dictionary with names in the back." That was how everything screw-up, I ton of characters where introduce in the first fifty pages, I was constantly confused or I even slept because of the plot been so damn intricate. It took me two months to read hundred pages. TWO MONTHS, and then, I gave up, cowardly.

I now know, after speaking with my aunt, that the book is hard to pass, and that is cause because, the Silmarillion was a compilation of notes and drafts that Tolkien wrote but never put together, it was too long and complicated and he never had the time to published. His son, eventually discovered all that and realises that it was unfinished,  so he decided to write the rest. I can understand why he did it, to perpetuate his fathers legacy, to show the world the great story he was creating or even to gain some recognition maybe. All I can say is that is was hard to understand and to take all that information so fast; from the creation of the all Mighty sons, the elfs, the men, the dwarfs the hobbits, the separation of the elfs, how Sauron turned evil, the war, the creation of tools, and magic objects. the backstabbing, the affairs, the names... Those names, they could have three different names, because it changed from dialect, to region or even because the writer wanted to. They even have a dialect glosary!
Anyway, I will someday read the goddamn book, and the Lord of The Rings as well.

I will not die until I read those books.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario