viernes, 29 de septiembre de 2017

Macbeth and the Forgotten Script

Oh Shakespeare! Oh life! Oh Third Year Theatre Class!

My insertion into the Shakespearean world was a late one, I saw a couple of movies related to the plays that the worldwide writer did, but nothing like Macbeth. Oh boy that was a different story.

In high school, our theatre teacher assigned us a Shakespeare play to do. With the original script. (In spanish of course) and with the selection of the cast we had to have. We had to do everything, from props, to customs, to scenery and the music, ALL.

Unfortunately, for me the star of the plot was a total disaster. Why? Well, let's just say that he was lazy...if not something else.

Imagen relacionada

After that day, I saw Theatre in another different way. 

With more respect for the actors, that remember every single line of their script. These was a line that my Oh great Macbeth performer forgot:
MACBETH
"If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well
It were done quickly: if the assassination
Could trammel up the consequence, and catch
With his surcease success; that but this blow
Might be the be-all and the end-all here,
But here, upon this bank and shoal of time,
We'ld jump the life to come. But in these cases
We still have judgment here; that we but teach
Bloody instructions, which, being taught, return
To plague the inventor: this even-handed justice
Commends the ingredients of our poison'd chalice
To our own lips. He's here in double trust;
First, as I am his kinsman and his subject,
Strong both against the deed; then, as his host,
Who should against his murderer shut the door,
Not bear the knife myself. Besides, this Duncan
Hath borne his faculties so meek, hath been
So clear in his great office, that his virtues
Will plead like angels, trumpet-tongued, against
The deep damnation of his taking-off;
And pity, like a naked new-born babe,
Striding the blast, or heaven's cherubim, horsed
Upon the sightless couriers of the air,
Shall blow the horrid deed in every eye,
That tears shall drown the wind. I have no spur
To prick the sides of my intent, but only
Vaulting ambition, which o'erleaps itself

And falls on the other."

Being objective, Macbeth's is not exactly the easiest play of all, actually, is a pretty hard one, but anyway, my heart was in that play, and it was crush. All the hoursof rehearsal,the making of the kilts for the male characters, and the money expended, yeah there was money on top of all!
Later I saw the mega production of Macbeth with the gorgeous Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard.


Imagen relacionada

I cried internally after watching it, It was excellent, and everytime I recall my old play, Macbeth's movies makes our performance even worst.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario